Friday, January 8, 2010

Changing Your Name is a Pain in the Rear

I finally decided to haul myself to the social security office to change my last name and make this here marriage official and whatnot.  OK, so the marriage has always been official, but changing one's last name to that of her betrothed is the last step to making it officially official.  Ya know what I'm sayin'?

After waiting for over an hour at the social security office on Tuesday, the deed was done.  With a new last name and an hour of superb people watching behind me, I left that downtown Phoenix office for good.

I was happy.  I knew Michael would be happy.  While he has never once said anything to me about it or made me feel guilty in the least, I knew he'd be giddy when I told him the news later that day.  (Which he was.  I think it made his day -- maybe his year, even.)

So very shortlived was my joy.  Three days of it, maybe?  I had to wait that long before I could go get a new driver's license.  Surprisingly, there was no wait at the AZ MVD this morning.  Two thumbs up for that.  Two thumbs down, however, for the clerk who was helping me.  Despite it being right in front of her face on the application I filled out two minutes earlier, she listed the wrong middle name.  After I caught the mistake and questioned her on it she said "Oh, I just assumed."  Don't ass-u-me, 'k?

Next stop, the bank.  Easy in, easy out.  Not.  The woman there got it all situated in her computer system, checked out my spiffy new license, poured over my marriage license, and then said "Oh, wait.  I need your husband here, too.  If I change your name it voids everything because you have a joint account.  I need new signatures from both of you or you won't be able to access your account.  We close at 5.  Can he come in today?"   Um, no.  Unlike me, he has a full-time job, thank you very much. 

I texted Miguelito at work and he was free for lunch so I drove to Phoenix, picked him up, and finally got it all situated with the bank at a branch near his office.  Sheesh.  At least the gal at that branch was friendly and helpful and knowledgeable and totally cool.  I'm so banking in the 'hood from now on.  They know what they're doing.

Driver's license changed.  Bank accounts updated.  That's it, right?

No?  You mean now I have to change every other little thing that has my name attached to it?  Like the cable bill, my credit cards, our 401Ks, my health insurance, our cell phone plan, our car insurance, my part-time gig at Michael's, my Sam's Club membership, my DSW rewards card.... my.....the list is endless.

Seriously?  I shoulda kept my maiden name.  :)

(P.S.  Two days in a row with blog posts?  A new record indeed!)

3 comments:

Mike said...

Hola everyone! Shellie did it! It is an amazing thing! I commend her for doing this long process. Becuz it REALLY meant my day! But when she told me she wanted a SLICE for her birthday...I was thinking of Old Skool Pepsi Slice...but it wasnt....Again Congrats!

DWJ said...

My 7th wedding anniversary is this year...I have yet to change my name with the social security office. You're way ahead of me. HA! That's why I hyphenated, makes it easier ;)

Mandi said...

Yo go girl. Everything regarding the DMV or any other gov. ofice is a pain in the rear. There, I said it. BUT It is! But good job. I'm glad you're committed to your marriage. . .;)