Monday, January 11, 2010

Italian Eggplant Relish

Michael works with a gal named Karen.  She had a birthday party on Sunday and was kind enough to invite us.  After church we hopped in the car and moseyed on over to her parent's casa - the location of the birthday festivities.  There were handful of super nice folks there, mostly her family and a few friends.  They had a lovely spread of things to eat, most of which were healthy.  What a nice change from the usual birthday party junk!

Anyhoo, her Mom made this tasty dish of "stuff" (we didn't really know what to call it) that we ate with pita chips.  OK, I was the only one who ate it.  Apparently Michael's ability to try something new and mysterious was powered off today.  It had the consistency of salsa, but was tomato free, hooray!  I can't stand fresh/raw/uncooked tomatoes, for those of you who don't know.

As we were leaving I asked Karen's Mom for the recipe because it was So. Darn. Tasty. and I wanted to know exactly what to call it.  She emailed me the recipe a few hours later.  How cool is that?  I just met her today and she turned right around and zipped it on over to me.  Gotta love this here Internet.

I never would have guessed the primary ingredient is eggplant.  I love food in disguise!

Italian Eggplant Relish

3 comments:

Mandi said...

Ooh this is right up my alley. Love eggplant! Kind of sounds like ratatouille! Yum.

Jessica Dalby Egbert said...

I'm totally not commenting about eggplant, but simply the fact that you are blogging! Awesome! :)

Shellie said...

Come on, Jess. I'd totally love to hear your thoughts on eggplant.