Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Easiest. Dinner. Ever.

American Idol is so doggone boring this season (gasp!  blasphemy!) that I must discuss tonight's dinner while it's on in the background.  [Though Siobahn just hit that freaky high note.  She's so weird.  But that's a subject for another day.]

Michael went and got himself a root canal today, so I needed something for dinner that wouldn't require much chewing.  I decided on an old standby around here that is just about the easiest thing I've ever made and gets rave reviews from everyone who tries it.

Share, you say?  No problemo.

First, get out your trusty Crock Pot.  I hope yours is as cute as mine:

Add the following:

-1 can corn, drained
-1 can hominy, drained
-1 can diced potatoes, drained
-1 can Great Northern Beans, drained
-1 small can green chiles
-1 lb. of cooked, cubed chicken breast (sometimes I used canned and it works just the same)
-8 to 12 oz. of salsa (mild, medium, or hot depending on how you roll)
-red pepper flakes (again, to your taste, or leave them out completely)
-1 T. cumin
-1 can chicken broth
-lastly, add enough water to fill the rest of the crock pot

I rarely measure out the salsa, cumin, or chicken broth.  I usually use about those amounts, probably a little more.

Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 5-6 hours, or until it gets hot enough to your liking.  This is a great Sunday meal.  I throw it all in before church and by the time we get home it's perfect. 

Serve with crushed tortilla chips and top with sour cream and shredded cheese.  I like to mix it all up so the chips get mushy and the cheese and sour cream are incorporated in.  Michael just likes his plain, with a generous dose of Tobasco Sauce.

It's great and a crowd pleaser because you can make it as spicy (for Michael) or mild (for my Dad) as you want.  :)

Behold, the soup:

Quick.  Easy.  Delish!

1 comment:

Mandi said...

Ooh this is right up our alley, Shellie! Gonna try this. Thanks.

P.S. soo true on American Idol. I feel like I just swore. . .but I just watch and I snooze. I have to be honest with myself!