Monday, March 1, 2010

The upside of unemployment

Would I rather be working?  Yes.

Do I wallow in self-pity because of said joblessness?  No.  (Though, admittedly, it's mighty tempting at times.)

"What does she do all day then?" you might ask.

The answer:  PROJECTS!

"What kind of projects?"

Oh, let me show you what I've been up to the last 10 days or so!

Project #1:  A Lovely Day with the Rug Doctor
Mesa, Arizona is in the desert.  Desert = dirt and dust galore.  Dirt and dust galore = perpetual dirty feet and shoes.  Dirty feet and shoes = filthy carpet.  Ick!  Rug Doctor to the rescue!

the bedroom (looks like I must've washed the sheets that day, too. Awesome!)

 
dining area

living room

To illustrate my point that our carpets in the desert are filthy: we live in a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment.  I only cleaned the carpets in our bedroom (around all the furniture), the living/dining room (moving all the furniture) and the little hallway outside the bedroom and kitchen... and had to empty that sucker SIX TIMES.  Six nasty rounds of dirty carpet water.  Sick.  No wonder my feet and socks are always dirty!

Project #2:  Sewing Machine Goodies
Santa brought me a new sewing machine for Christmas.  It's your basic, no frills kind of machine.  I'm no pro and just wanted it for a few odds and ends around the house.  

I finally busted it out last week for the first time.  Ahem.  That meant I watched the instructional video that came with it so as to correctly thread the needle and figure out that whole bobbin thing.  Yay, me.

Apparently I was successful, because I made two pillowcases for our body pillows.  I'll let you figure out which one is mine and which one is Michael's.

(If you look closely you can see seven, yes 7!, pillows on our bed, which are always on there.  That's the beauty of a king sized bed, my friends!)

I will not, I repeat, will NOT provide you with a close up shot detailing my crooked stitches.

Project #3:  Daily Schtuff
You know, all those normal housewifey things:  cooking, cleaning, doing the dishes, packing the hubby's lunch, laundry, grocery shopping and mail getting.  Of course, I shook things up a little when I went to Fry's Mercado, an awesome Latin grocery store / everyday Fry's grocery store hybrid.  Loved it.
 

Project #4:  The Laundromat
There's some dude I live with (I'm not naming any names) who had a pen leak it's ink all over his church bag.  Oh well, not such a big deal.  However, said dude placed said bag on the bed and transferred some of said ink.  BOYS!

To give him credit, it was just a tiny unintentional spot.  That being said, I decided it was long past time to take our quilt to the laundromat.  The directions said to wash it in a commercial, front-loading machine.  Off I went...

Is it sad that I had fun?  The place was sooooooooooo clean and shiny.  The machines were all new and I sat there and watched the wash cycle.  Fascinating stuff.

 
  
 

Projects #5, 6, 7, & 8
Relief Society Stuff
Attending baseball Volunteer Meetings/Orientation
TB test (for volunteering - it's through a hospital)
Dinner for the Missionaries

Project #9:  Recipe Box Organizing
I have a really cute recipe box.  Totally me, huh?
 

But I had a problem:  A big pile of recipes of all shapes and sizes.

I spent quite a while putting all the recipes on cards the same size.  Still not done, but a lot closer.  :)
 

Project #10:  Lots of Olympics watching
Much to the annoyance of Michael, I've spent a considerable amount of time watching the Olympics the last two weeks.  Whatever.  He's gone all the time.  Get over it, dude.

While it's not a project, per se, it has taken up a lot of my time.  It's the Olympics.  They are supposed to be watched.
 


So, what have you been up to lately?

2 comments:

Mandi said...

Ooh you're so productive! The carpet looks great. I hope you can find a job soon! Sucks to search, man.

DWJ said...

If I send you my cabinet full of loose recipe cards will you organize mine too? LOL I need it. Unemployment does stink and I'm searching now too. Good luck!