Sunday, April 25, 2010

Dee-Dee

This is a picture of me holding my sister Shannon when she was just a wee little lass. (Don't you just looooove the wallpaper in the background??)  For some reason, all those years ago, she never could quite pronounce my name correctly.  Shellie.  Shelllllllleeeeeeeeeeeee.  It's not that hard is it?  Apparently so, because it came out of her mouth as Dee-Dee.

I've been Dee-Dee to her ever since. Shannon never calls me by my real name.  If she does, it just sounds wrong to both of us.  I guess over time it's sort of  become a family nickname.  Every once in a while someone else will call me Dee-Dee, too, usually my Mom. 

Eh.  No biggie, I guess.  She's the only one who really calls me that.

Wrong.


Enter Devin, Shannon's husband.  I was living in Utah when they met, became friends, dated, and got engaged.  (It was over a four year period, more or less).  Of course she'd tell him about her sister in Utah named Dee-Dee...er... Shellie.  It makes sense that he'd think of me as Dee-Dee, right?  He's pretty good about calling me Shellie when he's talking to me directly, but refers to me as Dee-Dee when she's around. 

Shannon calls me Dee-Dee all of the time, Devin about 50% of the time.  Again, no biggie.

Enter Reagan, Shannon and Devin's daughter.  She's 19 months old and developing quite a vocabulary.  Reagan and I got acquainted for the first time last week.  (She was born a month before I packed up and moved to Arizona).

Looks like I'll be Aunt Dee-Dee now. 

I suppose I'll just have to get over it.....

I mean, seriously, how can I not love hearing "Hi, Dee-Dee!" from this little face? 


Aunt Dee-Dee it is.

1 comment:

Mandi said...

Well dang, I was really liking "shell-ay", but I guess I can get used to "Dee Dee", too.