Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Rarely am I sucked in by the magazines in the checkout line at the grocery store.  Three things caught my eye about this cover:


1.  Lose 10.5 lbs a week.  Mmmm, K.  Really?
2.  I never noticed it says God Bless America above the title.
3.  Cupcake Bliss!  specifically the "Best-ever Red Velvet!" line.  (What's with the excessive !!!!!!!!!!s, by the way?)

I love red velvet cupcakes.  Love 'em.  They are my absolute favorite.  But I haven't found the one true recipe.  Red velvets from a cake mix rarely come out right, from scratch mixes are just a pain, and $3.50 a pop from places like Cakelove is just way too pricey.

Anyhoo, I quickly perused the recipe in the mag and decided they were pretty easy and worth a try.  Almost homemade, if you will.  I had to run back for some buttermilk, but otherwise I was good to go.

Fortunately for me, I have a ready and willing treat-loving audience.  Michael has a gaggle of co-workers always willing to scarf down whatever I send with him.

The were super easy.  Here's the final product:


I actually made two batches, one using a red velvet cake mix, one using a devil's food cake mix.  I used canned frosting with the red velvet ones, and made the frosting in the recipe for the devil's food ones.  The homemade frosting was better.  (I can't believe I said that.  Total blasphemy, for I usually prefer cream cheese frosting from a can!)

Michael tried one and said,

"These are the best cupcakes you've ever made."

And I've made a lot of cupcakes.  A LOT.  Especially during football season.  Remember these?

His coworkers feel the same way.

"When is she going to open up a cupcake shop?"
"I've already had two but want more."

I have to admit, they are pretty dang awesome.  I believe my search is over.  Hip, hip HOORAY!

Of course I'll share the recipe.  A few notes first:

1.  I was able to get 24 cupcakes each time.
2.  I didn't feel like wasting one to make "crumbs" for the top.
3.  I didn't have coconut extract.  Tasted just fine without it, but I'm sure it adds an extra zip of flavor.
4.  I only cooked mine for 15 minutes, which was more than enough.  My oven is wonky, though, and I always have to cook things less.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Mandi said...

Yummy! red velvet still reminds me of you, Shellay. Red velvet cake, crushed red velvet. . .

ok not that last one.

Lara said...

I can't believe I missed this post. I'm putting these on my list to try very soon.