Thursday, July 15, 2010

Scenes from the Fourth

Some of you may be surprised to find out that Independence Day is one of my favorite holidays. 

OK, seriously, if you didn't know that about me then you obviously don't know me very well.  Take a gander at the background of this blog or look at how my apartment is decorated if you still don't believe me.  :)

The 4th of July is a pretty big deal to most of my family.  It stems from my maternal grandmother and her sisters who grew up in Washington, DC.  They spent their respective childhoods roaming the streets of DC and celebrating the birth of our nation in their backyard - our Nation's Capital.  They passed that love of July 4th to their children and grandchildren.  Many a July 4th in my life has been spent with my Mom's side of the family.  Parades, BBQs, and fireworks are always on the agenda. 

This year's 4th of July festivities were relatively tame.  For a variety of reasons none of my extended family were able to make the trip to DC for the day/weekend.  I spent the weekend with my parents, brother, and grandparents.  We had a couple of BBQs, watched "A Capital Fourth" on TV, and otherwise relaxed and enjoyed the time off of work.  Todd and our next door neighbor Chris provided us with a fireworks show of the homemade variety.  I had fun, but missed my hubby and my Utah-4th-of-July-loving friends, too. 

Scenes from our Independence Day weekend:

1 comment:

Jessica Dalby Egbert said...

I must say, while we went to ye ol' Stadium of Fire and saw Carrie Underwood - which was awesome - I couldn't help but "wish you were here." Bah. Perhaps Orlando?! I hope so! So glad everything has lined up for you guys!