Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Rush Curse

Rush:  The beginning of a semester when a college bookstore is its busiest, sales are strongest, and crazy things happen.


I've been doing this college bookstore thing a long time.  Rush is what we bookstore peeps live for, the reason we even have jobs.  It's what makes me get up in the morning, what pays my bills, what exhausts me like nothing else.  I've worked at three different college bookstores and the Rushes have been different at each one.  What goes on is more or less the same, but depending on the size of the store and the number of employees, it can be a completely different experience at each one. 

I've been at my current store for two years.  In that time I've worked six Rushes.  Five times of out of six, something has happened that first week of school that has closed the store for a day or more.  Five times!  Not once, during the seven or so years I worked at my two other bookstores, did anything like that happen.

Hurricanes, earthquakes, snowstorms, and power outages all seem to only happen the first week of school.  Mind you, I'm not complaining.  Who doesn't like to have an impromptu day off in the middle of your busiest week?  I've been through more than 30 Rushes and for some reason five of the last six have had something happen.  It has become somewhat of a joke where I am.  We thought we were going to make it through this most recent Rush unscathed, but then on Tuesday morning a drunk guy driving 100mph being pursued by the cops hit a power line right behind the school and knocked out the power.  What are the odds?

My first two stores were quite large stores, as far as college bookstores go, both in terms of number of employees and square footage.  My current store employs two full-time employees (including me) and anywhere from 4-8 part-time and temporary employees, depending on the time of year.  The store itself is not much bigger than my apartment and is about 1/3 the size of what it should be (that's another story for another day, don't even get me started).  Rush makes the store more cramped than it already is, hotter than heck, and the employees and students crankier than ever.  More so than my first two stores.

So, I like to think all these strange happenings are Divine Intervention.  Someone knows we all sure could use a little break in the midst of all that chaos.  :)

2 comments:

Bon-Bon said...

At long last, you post again. Good one, Shell! Divine Intervention at its best.

Janet Latta said...

ah...i feel your pain!